Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Paeds Week 2

2nd week in Paeds and going well so far Alhamdulillah. Well actually I'm in a 'step-down/chronic' kind-of-ward so I guess it's not that hectic, plus I haven't had a call yet (1st call on 17th).

The language barrier is quite a problem for me and it's really difficult to explain something or to console a kid. I really wish my Zulu wasn't so limited! At least in Pretoria I could get away with Afrikaans.

Many of the kids in the ward have defaulted their TB treatment and are now on the re-treatment regime so they have to stay in hospital for 56days to receive IM injections. The very little one's don't understand why they have to stay in hospital because they feel fine and so everyday it's like "Dr, funa discharg-ga"

The ward looks a bit dreary but overall the kids I'm responsible for are really cute. But why are kids so touchy??   It's really something I'll have to TRY and get used to. Don't think I ever will. It's not that I'm a cold person, it's just that I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about cleanliness and uhm don't really appreciate a hug from a child with a porridge-smeared face, snotty nose and some unidentifiable wetness on his sleeves!! Seriously people I've witnessed it - these kids put there hands everywhere! It's really gross!!

Well enough about the gross stuff - I cant believe the 2nd week is almost over. Next week's gna be real hectic with 3 calls....

No comments: