Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Paeds

So today was my 2nd day in Paediatrics and it's not going too badly! I'm finding it nice working with kids (except when I need to draw blood or put up an IV line!) but it is also quite depressing. 7 of the 9 children I'm responsible for, have HIV and TB and almost everything else that goes with being immune-compromised:( It just seems so unfair that these little one's have to suffer because of their parents.
It's also frightening for me because it's really easy to get a needle stick or splash injury. May Allah protect me and every other doctor.

3 comments:

SS said...

You've got a tough career but it's an important one. Good luck

Anonymous said...

Ameen to your du'aa dear.

If you don't mind me asking, do you have any tips on how to get the children to cooperate with you? I'm in third year, doing paeds for the first time and I'm finding that a bit of a challenge.
Also, how do you overcome the language barrier?
Jazakillah Khair in advance :)

Sabeehah said...

@Anonymous I'm really no expert at dealing with kids but from my limited experience I've learnt a few things:

1. Greet the child and ask them how they feel, any problems, pain etc before confirming with the mum.

2. During the examination get down to their level [not a big problem for tiny me;)]

3. Examination has to be less formal and less structured - may have to auscultate 1st then palpate.

4. Have mum around during examination/procedures - helps relieve anxiety.

5. With older kids (and adults too) I'm always honest and inform them before drawing blood or inserting an IV line, that it's gna hurt a little (ok maybe I'm lying about little!)

6. Always wear gloves during procedures - kids are bound to spit, cough and bite!

That's all I can think of for now. Guess everyone improves with experience. All the best:)