Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Who said being a doctor is glamarous???




Okay Alhamdulillah I'm alive after one of my worst calls ever! Nursery calls Suck!


The call started off quite well and then things just kinda spiraled a bit out of control - 2 Resus's and 1 didn't make it:( so then there was tons of paperwork to be filled in at like 3:00am.  And seeing that everything in the hospital is based on 
It didn't make my life much easier!


I dragged my sister (BintMahmood) along with me. I left her snuggled in my sleeping bag for most of the night

 
but she really helped me out this morning and had to run quite a few times to the lab. I felt really sorry for her though, coz Nursery is very very warm even though it's freezing outside, and shame she kept feeling dizzy and faint... so she had to go out a while and then come back to help me!

For my sis
The worst part about a Tuesday call is that handover happens late coz of a departmental meeting on a Wednesday. So yeah instead of being relieved at 8am, I had to cover the ward and C-sections till 10am.
And as luck will have it, the sisters kindly informed me at 7am that 5 IV lines were infiltrated!
Gosh these IV lines on these tiny babies are just soooo frustrating! After walking around the whole night my feet were killing me,


I was hungry and exhausted and really struggled with the lines:( I was so fed up, I just felt like bursting into tears.


The best part was: I inserted one IV line on a baby after struggling for about an hour,( I secured it really well) and then had to go for a c-section. When I got back the sister tells me that this baby needs a drip, and I was like sister I did that one already before I went to theater. She looks at me and she's like oh she thought that was the old drip that was infiltrated, so she removed it! Seriously I didn't know whether to burst out laughing or crying!!! I attempted it another 3 times, failed and then gave up and decided to leave it for the day staff. The mum was quite upset and started crying but I mean if I can't do something, I can't!! 

So I was still battling away with drips when the day staff eventually came - boy was I relieved! It seemed as though my shift was never gonna end! 

Alhamdulillahi Allah Kullee Haal.

(Next Nursery Call: 26/07/2011)


3 comments:

Bint Mahmood said...

Aaawwww! habibti! you too are one in a million.
I must say camping @ Edendale Hospital wasn't that bad. It shouldn't be, i guess, since I did nothing. I hated the noisy Indian Mynas that refused to sleep (trust me these Edendale birds don't sleep!)

Without doubt, these random vaso-vagal episodes need to stop. (imagine, if I am on call, and need to run out half way thru a drip *not impressed*)

I love how you call your patients "Ay We`na" Cute.

sady said...

slms, hiya. I was an intern there last year - your post brings back memories of really frustrating times! But I am grateful for those experiences because as cliched as it sounds, those experiences make you a better doctor.

Good old Edendale - Im sure those birds are there to prevent sleep should you stumble upon it.

Good luck with the calls!

♥●• İzdihër •●♥ said...

HEY ITS QUITE A WORK.But I like doc.Have a good time.